Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What if the name and address are correct?

    1. Simply complete the enclosed W9 form and return it to RFLI, c/o ALCS, PO BOX 23650, Jacksonville, FL  32241.

  2. Why after all these years is there now going to be a distribution?

    1. The short answer is that RFLI has some money, and it needs to be distributed before the company can be closed down permanently.   

      Here is a more detailed outline of the history of the Farmland bankruptcy to date that explains why there is now money to distribute:

      Farmland Industries, Inc., Farmland Foods, Inc., Farmland Transportation, Inc., SFA, Inc. and Farmland Pipe Line Company filed their Chapter 11 petitions on May 31, 2002.  In the course of their Chapter 11 cases, the Debtors liquidated a substantial portion of their assets, including their beef, pork and fertilizer holdings.  On October 31, 2003, the Debtors filed their Second Amended Joint Plan of Reorganization, as modified, which provides for the liquidation of the Debtors’ remaining assets and the distribution to the creditors of the cash proceeds from the prior and ongoing sales of the Debtors’ assets.
      On December 19, 2003, the Bankruptcy Court confirmed Farmland’s plan of liquidation.  Pursuant to the Plan, the FI Liquidating Trust (the “Trust”) was established to liquidate assets, resolve disputed claims, make distributions to creditors and take other actions necessary to effectuate the Plan.  JP Morgan Trust Company, NA, was appointed to act as the Liquidating Trustee for the FI Liquidating Trust. The Plan also established a Post-Confirmation Committee to assist and oversee the Liquidating Trustee’s administration of the Debtors’ estates. The FI Liquidating Trust Agreement (“Trust Agreement”) governed the establishment, operation, and term of the FI Liquidating Trust. Pursuant to the Trust Agreement, the original term of the FI Liquidating Trust was for a four-year period, beginning May 1, 2004. By an Order dated June 25, 2008, the term of the FI Liquidating Trust was extended through May 1, 2009.Substantially all of the Debtors’ assets were liquidated by the Liquidating Trustee and their proceeds distributed to the Debtors’ creditors, bondholders and preferred shareholders pursuant to the Plan. Pursuant to various orders entered by the Court, those residual assets and interests held by the Trust which remained unliquidated immediately prior to termination of the Trust were abandoned to Reorganized FLI, Inc.(“RFLI”), as successor to the Debtors. RFLI continued to exist following termination of the Trust, for the limited purpose of administering certain residual assets abandoned by the Trust.  Since the Effective Date of the Plan, the Liquidating Trustee distributed nearly $1 billion to creditors, bondholders, and preferred shareholders. The Debtors’ creditors and bondholders have been paid 100% on their claims, plus interest of approximately 4.5%.Preferred shareholders have received distributions totaling about $13 million. The Liquidating Trustee made its Final Distribution under the Plan on or about April 30, 2009.
      Since the termination of the Liquidating Trust, RFLI has been overseeing the liquidation of the residual assets and claims, the most significant being a claim held in a class action lawsuit involving anti-trust claims with respect to natural gas purchases.  That lawsuit was recently settled and netted RFLI a significant sum for this additional and final distribution.

  3. What Name Change Documents Are Required?

    1. We can accommodate a name change with proper documentation.  Please complete the attached Payee Information Form, follow the instructions below for the specific reason and provide the documentation as requested for your particular situation.  We must receive each of  the necessary documents listed. 

      If the person is deceased and you would like the new payee to be the person listed as T.O.D on the record, please provide the following: 
      1) Copy of the death certificate for the original owner or owners as applicable
      2) A completed W9 form for the new payee
      3) Completed Payee Information Form

      If the person is deceased and you would like the new payee to be a beneficiary or beneficiaries of the original owner, please provide the following: 
      1) Copy of the death certificate for the original owner or owners as applicable
      2) A completed W9 form for the new payee or, if multiple payees, one completed W9 form for each new payee
      3) Copy of legal documentation confirming the new payee is the legal beneficiary of this claim (will, probate documentation, trust documents, etc.).  Note: Although it is best to send the complete document, it is only necessary to send the pertinent portion that shows the beneficiary relationship.
      4) Completed Payee Information Form

      If the entity is no longer in business and you would like the new payee to be a successor of the entity, please provide the following:
      1) A completed W9 form for the new payee or if multiple payees, one for each new payee
      2) Copy of legal documentation that shows that the new payee is a successor or the legal beneficiary of this claim.  (Example: in a merger scenario you may supply a press release)
      3) Completed Payee Information Form

  4. How much will the distribution be?

    1. Final calculations have not yet been made because there are still several unknown variables. However, some models have shown there may be between 1 and 2% of the total claim amount (which can be found on the front page of the enclosed letter) available for distribution. This amount may vary and is only provided to give you an indication

  5. Why are you asking for my social security number or tax identification number?

    1. In preparing for the distribution, we believe there is a high probability that RFLI will need to report some of the distributions to the IRS on a 1099.  As such, it is necessary to have tax IDs in order to file these returns with the applicable taxing authorities.

  6. What if the owner of the claim is two people like Jane Doe and Jack Doe, do you need a W9 for both people?

    1. We only need a W9 for one person.  Preferably it would be the person listed first.  This is only if multiple people are payees of one check.  If multiple checks, please follow the instructions above in Name Change Documents Required section. 

      If it is acceptable for a claim to be paid in one name and on one check, only one W9 is needed.  In this case, it would be the responsibility of the person receiving the claim funds to further distribute funds as necessary.  Preferably, the W9 would be in the name of the first person listed on the claim.  

      If more than check is needed when funds are disbursed, a completed W9 will be required for each person receiving funds.  Additional names may require documentation to support a name change.  If this is the case, please refer back to Item #3 for more information regarding a name change. 

      NOTE: if 1099 forms are generated, a 1099 will be generated in the name of each person who submitted a completed W9.